March 06, 2005
Okay, I got home, sat down to check my favorite bloggers, news sites, and stuff, and found a problem. I couldn't get to any of the mu.nu sites or Instapundit. That wasn't that big of a deal--occasional network issues happen to everyone, right?
Then I couldn't get to Dean, Michelle, or news.google.com.
Huh. I tried some of my other favorite sites and found a good number of them not loading.
Okay, Network Utility, here I come. Pinging Instapundit works just fine, but trying to load it in my browser on either the laptop or the desktop fails. Okay, how about a traceroute? Traceroute fails ugly. After 10 hops (when it reaches newnet-2.border1.sjepnap.net (the IP is 126.96.36.199)), it just flounders around trying to find a route, but failing.
What is the network problem (that has persisted from early this afternoon until now--at least five hours)?
Okay, whatever your theory might be, let me throw in a little wrench: pinging Dean and the traceroute to Dean both work, but loading the site still fails.
Now, for the worst part, while I can get to resurrectionsong and all the sites associated with this server, I can't get to sites that I'm working on that reside on another server with the same hosting company.
I'm a little confused.
Posted by zombyboy at March 6, 2005 06:25 PM
Hmmm, looks like DNS is working... and you're able to load some sites via port 80... so, my last best guess is that it is the work of Satan and his evil minions.
Well, I mighta sorta figured it out. I powered down everything on my side, brought it all back up and still had the same problem. I killed off the wireless router and plugged my laptop directly into the cable modem, and now my connection is fine.
Now, what's wrong with my wireless router?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have a Linksys wireless router. If that's the case, they are known for doing bizarre stuff like that occasionally. Especially if you're using the wired and the wireless at the same time. I finally got to the point where I had to have one for my wired connections and another for my wireless. It still flakes out and takes a reboot occasionally, but it's better than what it was.
That would be right. I didn't realize that the linksys routers had such a bad reputation. Man, maybe I should've paid a little more for something better...
Oh, yeah, in that case, it's all clear now. I too have a Linksys wireless router and it decides to do nutty stuff every now and again - for example, sending out an SSID of gobbledy-gook, which makes it difficult for my wireless card to find it and negotiate the WEP... etc... and this is the second one, as the first was replaced under warranty only 5 months into its life...
The cat5 cable to your WAP might be kinked, and the zeroes are getting jammed in there, but the ones are getting through.
Just run some blinker fluid through it, and you'll be OK.
(Sorry, Z, I couldn't help it.)
Craig's right. The crazy thing is, the zeroes block each other, but the ones just slip right through.
I'm not sure blinker fluid will do the trick though. Sometimes you have to crunch the numbers, and the pieces of zero will flush right out and clear the blockage.
So maybe I need to look into a network angioplasty?
Look on the bright side. At least you don't have a D-Link.
If you're router's less than a year old, they'll replace it for you without much hassle.
If you are using comcast cable, occasionaly, they verify the MAC address of the computer attached to their cable modems, to validate that the same computer is still hooked up, and not a router. In the advanced settingtab, there should be a way to spoof the MAC address of the router to match the computer that was origianlly hooked up to the modem during instalation.
I had to do this to the router, and then I had to change it back, and have my vonage router spoof the MAC address for me, since it is between my switch and the modem.
Hope this helps.
I know where to make that change. I'll give it a shot when I get home and see if it solves the problem.