November 07, 2004
Obligatory Blogger Bash Post
Whew, that was fun.
Here's how it went.
Who? Walter, Jeff (and his wife and one of the cutest children in the world), Andy (and his wonderful wife), Steve, Phil (and his wife who actually remembered me from last year and gamely tried to sing songs with us even though she didn't know the words--she was still better at it than I was), Stephen (aka, the guy who I keep thinking is Phil when I don't actually read the attribution to the post), Matt (no, not that one), Dork, Darren (and girlfriend and friend), Jeralyn, Jed (who, along with Darren, took lead in organizing this event--thanks, you two), Charles, Publicola, Whomping Willow, Robin (and his wonderful wife), T.L. James, and Linda Seebach.
And for those who have yet to attend one of our events, let me share with you a story that will warm you in the thought that you too may someday drink with me. Stephen, Phil's co-blogger over at The Speculist, drove all the way from Louisiana just to get a free drink from me. Isn't that inspirational?
The sequence of the evening's events looked something like this:
1. Show up, sit down, start drinking with the early crowd. Mandarin and Seven and a shot of Jaeger.
2. People start trickling in. Conversations revolve around the technology of blogging, who is going to show up, and how happy we are that the elections are over. A few more Mandarin and Sevens.
3. Getting a little happy now. The waitress compliments Jeff's hair and then compliments Dorks hair. She completely fails to notice my beautiful, if somewhat unruly, hair. I am hurt. Obviously more drinks are in order. The same waitress brings shots for Jeff, Dork, Walter, Steve, and me.
4. That tasted good. Round up Jeff, Dork, Walter, Steve, and self. Head to the bar for a repeat. Yumm.
5. While at the bar, the convened group of shot drinking bloggers starts a conversation with Darren's girlfriend's friend. She seems offended that we didn't offer to do shots with her. We solve the problem with shots. Tuaca.
7. Heading downstairs to play darts, talk politics, and drink. Now The Speculist extended family of bloggers shows up to play, too.
8. Political talk, and some intriguing conversation with Jeralyn from Talk Left, is punctuated by regular rounds of singing. Man, we sound good. It must be time for another shot of Tuaca, kindly provided by Steve Green.
9. Mmm. Booze.
10. At some point along this long trajectory from sobriety to inebriety, Matt Moore shows up. Congratulations to both him and his new wife--and the best hopes for a long and happy marriage. He also happens to look good with a beard.
11. More singing, more drinking, have abandoned dartboards since the darts left with Darren and his crew. Met some really nice people who wanted to request songs. Songs by the Cure. We aren't very good at singing Cure songs.
12. It's getting late. We've been drinking for hours. The Marines arrive--literally.
13. After some interesting twists and turns, the night comes to a slightly pre-mature end.
Damn, we're good at having parties.
Thanks to all for showing up, for having a good time, for providing me with hours of conversation and fun, and for being a good group of writers and friends. Cheers! And let's do this again some time when the memory of the hangover fades...Posted by zombyboy at November 7, 2004 10:33 AM
|All content ©2003 by the authors of ResurrectionSong.com except where noted.